Thursday 28 March 2013

Thoughtful Thursday - what goes on in a runner's mind...

Here is some food for thought on thoughtful Thursday - I've called it this as this all relates to what goes on in a runner's mind. I came across this article from Runners' World, as I do, and thought it was really interesting and that you might to!

Before I talk about it, however, I just want you to know that I am not a follower of Buddha, nor do I go by what the Buddhists say, but I am a Christian and do find that a lot of what they talk about in the article with regards to optimism and meditation can also be related to my Christian faith, as well as prayer during running as a form of 'meditation', as the article speaks of. I also find what they have said in the article very interesting and that, no matter what faith you are, or even if you don't have one at all, this is all great stuff for everyone to think about.

So here is a quick run down of the article but I definitely recommend you go and read it yourself...

The article talks about your 'monkey mind' and how when you are running your mind swims with all sorts of different things such as what you are seeing, where you are running, what you need to get at the groceries, etc. Can anyone relate? I certainly can, I have a very overactive mind at the best of times, and it's not always good.

"Meditation reduces chaos and stress," the Sakyong says. "When we apply that to running, running becomes a tool that brings relaxation and vitality to the body. By allowing our mind and body to harmonize, we feel more alive and strong." Want in? Just as training for a race requires a gradual buildup, developing a meditative running practice takes time and, well, practice. But by employing some of the basic principles of meditation in your next run, the Sakyong says, you can feel—and run—better instantly. An excerpt.

Pinned Image

They then go on to talk of four ways you can help yourself become ralxed in your mind which will benefit your running...
  • Tune In - Developing an awareness of your body - what it's doing, how it's performing
  • Think Happy - Probably my favourite, as I believe it is very important to have a positive, happy and optimistic outlook on your running. My favourite verse to quote to myself when I am running is Romans 8:37: No, in all these things we are MORE tha  n conquerors through him who loved us.
  • Accept the Challenge - Are you running a hill? A tough track? Bad weather? Accept that challenge and embrace it. "The challenge is to be brave, not trying to escape boredom or discomfort, but relaxing with how things are."
  • Love the Run - Speaks for itself - if you don't love it, why are you doing it?? While running, think about all the good you are doing in that moment—strengthening muscles, producing endorphins, taking time for yourself. "Appreciation for running creates a healthy self-identity"...
Pinned Image
This sums it up just nicely I thought.

All in all I thought this was an article worthy of a read and a think.

What do you think of when you are running? 
I think of a lot of things but often I will pray or my mind will just switch off and I will just listen to my music, my body or take in the scenery.

What do you think of this meditation whilst running? 

What is your type of meditation? 
Prayer, quoting scriptures or, like the article says, trying to think positively about my run as well as thinking about what my body is doing.

2 comments:

  1. Love this post. I am going to try and be more mindful of everything inside and out when I run next week. Thank you for the inspiration. Hope you and the family have a lovely Easter xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Meghan. It's definitely something I have to make sure I do each run - get my mind in the right place x

    ReplyDelete

Please share, I love hearing what you have to say. Thanks x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...