This week I am feeling much better, however, so started the week of training with some speed work yesterday...
- 4 x 800m with 200m rest intervals.
I did these at a 12km/hr pace, which is standard pace for some, but fast for me, the snail. And guess what... It absolutely killed me!
I did this session on my Mum's treadmill so I could keep track of my pace and distance, etc. I did it at a 1% incline to imitate road running, and I had my wee buddy parked up next to me in the sun. Loving our winter sun at the moment, and the fact that I can open Mum's garage to let the sun in while I run. Perfect!
|Happy boy playing with his fave toy - the rings.|
So, why are short speed sessions important for marathon training I hear you ask?? Well, here are some facts:
- Speed sessions help to increase your VO2 Max
- They improve lactate-threshold running pace
- Improve leg speed
- Make you look like an awesome runner when you are sprinting down the road or on the 'mill!
- 1.5km easy
- 8km at marathon pace (I am aiming for about 5.40 mins/km pace)
- 1.5km easy
Then my long run, which I will do Saturday, is 15km.
Do you do speed training in your marathon training?
Do you prefer road or treadmill?
What is your favourite run in your training - speed, tempo or long?
Anyone want to join me on my long run on Sat? Would LOVE a buddy!