Tuesday 19 February 2013

How to return to running after having a baby...

I am not even going to try and tell you that I know much about this just yet. Thus the reason for researching what to expect and some guidelines for getting back into it.

Pinned Image
This will be my greatest motivation post baby - it's already happening!
Here is an excellent article from Runners World about how to return to running after pregnancy. It has great advice and takes you week by week through the guidelines for post partum exercise. It gives you guidelines for Pelvic Floor exercises, Cardio and Strength training right up to 8+ weeks post delivery.

*Please remember that these are just guidelines and will depend on each individual and their birth, as well as how active they were before and during pregnancy.

Following the birth of our wee bubba I will be trying to follow these guidelines and figuring out what works and what doesn't for my 'Great Return'. You will be able to follow my journey on here (the blog) and I hope that you will be encouraged, inspired and motivated by my journey. I also love to hear any advice from anyone who has been there, done that so feel free to drop me a comment if you have some tips or advice, or even just want to share your story of post-partum running.

Now here's some inspiration and motivation for us all - I will be coming back to all of this once I have begun the Great Return - I will need all the help and encouragement I can get, I am sure!!



Pinned Image
Please remind me of this when I want to die or give up - it's so true!
Yip!
That's all for now folks, check out the article and watch this space for baby news... 8 days til due date... YEOW!! 

11 comments:

  1. My only advice is while training after birthing, be kind to yourself :-) there's emotional, physical mental and even spiritual adjustments about to happen - be patient as you figure that out in pursuit of your incredible goals :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Arna, trying to keep all that in mind now but I guess I will only really know what it's like after birth :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Rachel, After my 3rd daughter I got back into running within 6 weeks. My ligaments were all too loose and I ended up injuring my hip which took over a year to heal. Just listen to your body and keep in mind that everything is super soft! Exercise definitely helps with energy levels- baby bootcamp with Stomp is a good place to start! Good luck! How super exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Ang. Not looking forward to the 'super soft' bits jiggling but know that is par for the course :)

      Delete
  3. I think some advice from a midwife in the local papers was be careful not to run with new babys in mountain buggies. you cant see the baby because they are facing away and the giggling is equivalent to shaking baby syndrome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie. Yeah I have heard not to run with baby before a certain time and that is fine. Plus, I am hoping that when I am properly back into running that that will be 'me' time and Tim and baby time :)

      Delete
  4. Good Luck!! I'l be looking to you for some inspiration!! (3 months on and i still haven't got back into it!!) I love that Big hills=Little butts!! And Wow only 8 days!!! I'll have my fingers crossed that you don't have to wait too long in this ridiculous heat!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eek so close how excitement!!! Good on you for still being so active!! Definitely listen to your body - all your ligaments etc. are super soft so gently does it! And remember that if all doesn't go to plan and you have either a rough birth or a really hard baby (colic makes it hard!) that is is OKAY to not run until you feel able!! You will probably breeze through since you've been active up to the birth :-) I've only just started running again and mine is 15months! But that was probably more because of not having someone to look after all the kids to give me a window of time to run! And when you DO get to it, it is so nice to get out by yourself .. very healthy :-) Good luck with it all I'll be keeping you all in my prayers xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking of you Rach and looking forward to the exciting news!

    ReplyDelete

Please share, I love hearing what you have to say. Thanks x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...