|Slugging it out in the Auckland marathon - not even at half way yet!|
(warning, some photos beyond this point may offend)
10 musts for a fun marathon:
1. The first is the most obvious - train hard so you know you have put the effort in to actually get you to the finish
2. Smile every chance you get - if not for the WHOLE marathon
3. Encourage other runners - this always makes you feel so much better
4. Have a laugh at the funny signs people are holding up along the course. For example, these two guys were carrying a sign on the sidelong along several parts of the course that said: 'Hurry up, we want coffee!' Didn't really get it but thought it was worth a laugh. Or my all time favourite at the Auckland Marathon: 'Nek minnit... Finished!' Classic.
5. Make sure you look good before you start. Have a good looking kit to wear and make sure you feel GOOD in it!
6. Or if the running gear ain't doing it for ya' dress up if there's a theme or just because you feel like it - such as the tinman seen in this post, and like this guy:
or this guy:
7. Fist pump whenever you get the chance - such as when you see someone you know, someone cheers for you, or just because you CAN!
8. Encourage, cheer for and even offer lollies (if you have them) to the marshals and drink station peeps - trust me, they LOVE it! Especially if there are kids!
9. Have some funkadelic beats playing on your iPod, or run with a buddy so you can have company. If all that fails, do what I do and just make mates with someone along the course - that's fun and then you have someone to encourage and someone to encourage you!
10. Last but definitely NOT least, and probably the most important especially for your first marathon... CROSS THE FINISH LINE WITH YOUR ARMS IN THE AIR!! 'I throw my hands up in the air sometimes...' You know it, sing along :)
So... That's about all I can think of for how to make a marathon (or any other race) FUN! That's right folks, you heard it here first, running CAN BE FUN! How do you make running fun? Is there anything you can think of that I didn't? Would love to hear what sorts of fun things you do to get you through.
|Happy Runner Girl|
There it is, 'The Im-having-fun-running-this-marathon thumbs up and smile!'
If i can do it you can do it too!